Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

Summary

 

Over the years numerous repairs and improvements were made to the school, a brief summary of which follows:

 

​Year

​Repair or Improvement

1913

January 16: Original school building completed.

1935

School building painted internally.

1937

The underneath of the school was concreted.

1939

A new water tank was provided.

1949

Bicycle racks provided.

1952

A request to have electricity supplied to the school was approved providing it was at no cost to the department.

1952

April 2: School residence built.

1953

The school committee provided two electric lights for the school.

1954

Tennis courts constructed at a cost of £83.12.0, 50 per cent of which was subsidised by the department.

1960

Old style school desks and forms were replaced with dual desks.

1966

Over a period of years requests had been made for the provision of a library and extra classroom accommodation, so the school building from Electra was moved to Airy Park.

1973

Toilets and septic system installed.

1973

Plans were approved on 16 August, 1973 for additions to the Elliott Heads State School, at an estimated cost of $19,031.00, which provided total accommodation consisting of:

  • Double teaching area 40ft x 16ft

  • Wet area 24ft x 7ft

  • Quiet area 16ft x 7ft

  • Store 1 8ft x 7ft

  • Library 18ft x 18ft

  • Health room 11ft x 8ft

  • Store 2 7ft x 7ft

The work would proceed when funds were available. The work was deferred until essential class room accommodation, required throughout the state early in 1974, had been provided.

1979

C Block: New early education centre building was finished.

1985

Staffroom, health room and aides workroom added to C Block.

1986

D Block: Double teaching area with store room, withdrawal room, preparation area and landscaped teaching court was approved and built.

1988

Fish pond was constructed.

1990

April: Undercover area completed. Mural on undercover area wall painted in July.

1990

First Macintosh computer installed.

1990

Junior climbing playground constructed.

1992

Front quadrangle and bike rack area paved.

1994

July-October: A further double teaching area and storeroom was added to D Block.

1997

September: Oval laser levelled and grassed.

2002

Eight new shade sails installed at the front of the school and front murals repainted.

2003

Whole school, including office, air conditioned.

2005

A climbing playground was added for senior students.

2007

Shade cloth cover constructed over senior playground.

2007

A covered outdoor learning area, including sandpit, was added to C Block.

2008

Disabled toilet and ramp constructed; safety fence erected around fish pond; library computerised.

2010

Solar panels installed on roof of D Block; new school changeable sign erected; electric bell installed; interactive whiteboards installed in all classrooms.

2010

B Block: Permission was granted for the original school building to be converted into a new staffroom.

2011

E Block: A purpose built library was added to the school buildings, under the government's "Building the Education Revolution" economic stimulus package. Officially opened on 25 October as ‘The Taske Centre’.

New Prep and garden sheds were erected, as the library was built on the site of the existing sheds.

2012

Elliott Heads State School celebrated its centenary on July 21.

F Block: A purpose built tuckshop was added to the school buildings.

2013

A new storage shed, for school and P&C, use was added to the school buildings.

A, B and C Blocks were repainted in the colours selected for the new library in 2011.

The original water tank in front of A Block was replaced, and a pump added to facilitate use of the water for garden maintenance.

The roof and guttering of the undercover area was replaced.

Both sets of stairs to the original school house (now B Block) were replaced.

The school began a project to reclaim the creek habitat at the south eastern boundary of the school playground.